Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Swap goodies....

SO went to the swap on Sunday looking to find a beater road frame for one of the Fleetfoot couriers. I found a JEWEL!! For $300 I bought a lightly used Sandivck Titanium road frame, a Look carbon fork, with a Chris King headset, Campy Record BB and Campy seatpost with an old San Marco saddle! I also found, for myself, a 1 inch Chris King Titanium Gripnut headset for less than $50!! I also bought an actual full color photo, matted and framed, of Eddy Merckx riding on the track circa 1977!! This is the true jewel of the weekend, I brought it home and gave it to Christie as a gift to be hung in a place of honor.
I also worked the MVA booth on Sunday man am I stoked to start the race season this year!! I am setting as a goal the Northwest Velodrome Championships July 28th-30th as my big come back that gives me FIVE months to heal, rehab, and get back in shape. I know I won't be any where near 100% but it gives me something to work towards!!!

Eddy Merckx

Eddy Merckx is the most complete all-terrain cyclist who ever lived. His wins came as frequently in road races as they did in tours and time trials.

Merckx was born on 17 June 1945, in Meensel-Kiezegen, Belgium, and became a professional cyclist when he was 19 years old. After a successful carreer in Cycling, which lasted 14 years, he retired in 1978. Eddy Merckx won single-day Classics, six-day trials and long tours, triumphs that made his name synonymous with the golden era of international Cycling.

Merckx was given the nickname "The Cannibal” as he was so eager for victory. Most experts agree that his best weapon was always his willpower, especially his desire for winning. During Cycling's golden age, from 1966 to 1976, Merckx collected no fewer than 525 victories in a variety of short- and long-distance races (around 1.800). For 96 days he was a leader in the Tour de France and finally a winner of 35 stages in the Tour de France.

Nowadays, he is involved with the manufacturing of bicycles, which carry his name, a business he started in his native Belgium in 1980.

Most Outstanding Victories:
5 Tours de France
7 Milan-San Remo Classics
5 Tours of Italy
5 Lige-Bastogne-Lige
1 Tour of Spain
2 Tours of Belgium
3 World Championships
2 Tours of Lombardy
1 Tour of Switzerland
3 Wallonia Races
3 Paris-Roubaix
1 World Hour Record
17 Six Day Races

No comments: