Saturday, January 12, 2008

And now the hand...

Yesterday I had an MRI of my right thumb/hand taken. If you remember back on the 23rd during my first ski trip, I caught my thumb on my ski pole as I took a tumble. After the MRI, I went straight to the hand doc to find out the results and develop a plan to treat the pain in my thumb. Originally, when I went to the hand doc last Monday she said it was a partial tear of the UCL(Ulnar Collateral Ligament), also called skier's thumb. The first words out of her mouth were, "I just got the results from the radiologist of your MRI and your thumb has a complete tear of the UCL...." My heart sunk and I knew it would require yet another surgery. The doc immediately started talking about the surgery she had booked for me on the 22nd of January. It will be an outpatient surgery without the general antithetic using only a Bier block on my hand. I will be in a cast for 3 weeks and then a soft splint.... I guess when I play I play hard! Oh well I would rather have it fixed than go around with the pain I have in my thumb and lack of grip strength....




No comments: